Labor advocate backs OFW ban to Kuwait

BY MAE SINGUAY

February 14, 2018

BACOLOD City – Labor group leader Wennie Sancho commended the total ban on deploying overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Kuwait.

“It sends a strong message to the Kuwait government that it should treat Filipino domestic workers as human beings rather than slaves,” said Sancho, the secretary-general of the General Alliance of Workers Association.

Department of Labor and Employment secretarySilvestre Bello III announced on Sunday the total ban on deploying OFWs to the oil-rich Gulf state as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.

“In pursuit of national interest, a total ban on deployment of all OFWs to Kuwait pursuant to the directive of the President is hereby enforced. Order takes effect immediately,” Bello said.

The order came after a body of an IlonggaOFW was found inside a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait last week.

She was the 29-year-old Joanna Daniela Demafelis of Sara, Iloilo.

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippine government will hold Kuwait responsible for the “horrendous crimes under its state responsibility.”

Sancho, who is also the labor representative to the Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board in Western Visayas, said the ban will have an impact on the unemployment problem in the country.

The unemployment rate in the country as of April 2017 is 15.6 percent, according to Sancho.

This is equivalent to about 2.4 million jobless Filipinos, Sancho added./PN