No terror threat in W. Visayas – PRO-6

BY BOY RYAN ZABAL

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Tourists walk along the white-sand beach of Boracay Island. The Police Regional Office 6 assures that there are no terrorist threats in Western Visayas. AKLAN FORUM JOURNAL

 

KALIBO, Aklan – There are no terrorist threats in Western Visayas, according to the Police Regional Office 6 (PRO-6).

The PRO-6 issued the statement on Wednesday in the wake of attacks by suspected Abu Sayyaf Group bandits in Bohol province.

“So far, there are no threats from terrorist groups in Western Visayas,” said Superintendent Gilbert Gorero, spokesperson. “They are constantly monitored by law enforcement agencies.”

At least 10 people were killed during the encounter between heavily armed suspected ASG elements and police officers and soldiers in Barangay Napo, Inabanga town in Bohol on Tuesday, April 11.

On April 8, the United States Embassy warned American citizens of the risks in travelling to Cebu and Bohol provinces.

Authorities said intelligence reports indicate that the ASG was targeting tourist destinations around Sulu Sea.

“It is the obligation of the police to secure tourists, especially in Boracay Island and other (tourist) destinations,” said Gorero.

But he emphasized that support from the community is needed to ensure public safety and secure vital installations.

Kung may alam kayo na mga bagong mukha sa inyong lugar, mangyari lamang na i-report natin sa ating mga barangay officials at kapulisan,” Gorero said.

All leaves of police officers were recalled for the Holy Week.

Additional police personnel were deployed to Guimaras and Boracay islands to address possible threats, said Gorero.

Police assistance desks were put up in strategic areas, while Boracay Tourist Assistance Center and Task Group Boracay continue with the regular beach patrol.

Around 50,000 tourists are expected to spend the Holy Week in the island resort. (With Aklan Forum Journal/PN)