SAN JOSE, Antique – The Sangguniang Panlalawigan placed the province under a state of calamity in light millions of pesos worth of agricultural damage caused by recent weather disturbances.
Provincial Board members approved the declaration during their regular session on Thursday.
Board member Errol T. Santillan moved for the declaration upon the recommendation of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
The declaration will allow the provincial government to use a portion of its Quick Response Fund, said Gov. Rhodora J. Cadiao, PDRRMC chair.
“We will utilize P3 million as assistance to the affected families and for disease prevention,” Cadiao said.
Southwest monsoon enhanced by tropical depressions “Henry” and “Josie” on July 17-25 and Aug. 2-4, respectively, caused some P31.66 million worth of damage to crops, according to the Office of the Provincial Agriculturist.
“There were also around 1,695 hectares of rice fields with damaged crops and 2,940 farmers affected,” Provincial Agriculturist Nicolasito Calawag said during a PDRRMC meeting Tuesday.
Moreover, there was an upsurge in suspected dengue cases, according to the Integrated Provincial Health Office.
There were 491 cases from Jan. 1 to July 28 this year, 68-percent higher than the 292 cases in the same period last year, said the office headed by Dr. Ric Noel Naciongayo.
“Most of these suspected cases were reported amid the rains,” Naciongayo said.
The municipalities of Hamtic, San Jose and Barbaza have already been placed under a state of calamity for the same reason. (PNA)