Friday, February 3, 2017

MANILA – Around 100 people were injured while three others remained missing after a fire hit a factory at the Cavite Economic Processing Zone (CEPZ) in Rosario, Cavite.

Gov. Jesus Crispin Remulla said the fire occurred at the Home Technology Industries in Phase 4 of the CEPZ around 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

The blaze started with a power saw that malfunctioned and quickly spread to the third floor, gutting paint and insulation.

“There were 104 people in the hospital (on Wednesday night),” Remulla said. “There were 10 who had third-degree burns, and some of them were very critical. There were also three unaccounted for so far.”

Some of the employees of the factory reportedly jumped off windows to escape.

The Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) declared the fire “under control” around 12:30 a.m. on Thursday. Initial cost of damage was pegged at P3 million.

“Maybe P3 million would be a fair estimate right now,” Remulla said. “We are preparing for the worst. Mabuti nang maging handa tayo.”

While the local government was willing to assist the victims, it has jurisdiction over the safety of the factory since the CEPZ was under the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA), said the governor./PN

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here