ILOILO – The mild El Niño phenomenon may have affected the agriculture sector in Western Visayas but the public need not worry about water shortage in hospitals, according to the Department of Health (DOH).
Hospitals in the region have “adequate” water supply, assured Dr. Eduardo Fillaro Jr., Medical Officer III of DOH Region 6.
El Niño is a weather pattern caused by abnormally high ocean temperatures in the eastern Pacific. It brings drought to normally damp places and floods to normally drier regions.
In the Philippines, El Niño is characterized by a warmer weather. In Western Visayas, the dry spell has already hit farms mostly in Negros Occidental.
But Fillaro said government hospitals in Region 6 are not affected by this.
“The water supply is sufficient and we see no problem so far,” he added.
Water is important in hospitals; it is needed for both minor and major operations, stressed Fillaro.
Most of the government hospitals in Western Visayas source their water from deep wells, surface water and water districts.
But while there is sufficient supply, some hospitals are still looking for other water sources.
The DOH official cited the Mambusao District Hospital and Tapaz District Hospital in Capiz; the Gov. Valeriano Gatuslao Memorial District Hospital in Himamaylan, Negros Occidental; and the Gustilo District Hospital in Escalante, Negros Occidental.
Fillaro said these healthcare facilitates are seeking ground water sources in case their current supply runs out.
“Diri sa Iloilo wala man problema kay sa mga district hospitals wala man masyado naga-opera,” added Fillaro.
There are 12 district hospitals run by the provincial government in Iloilo. They are:
* Aleosan District Hospital in Barangay Bancal, Alimodian
* Barotac Viejo District Hospital in Barangay San Lucas, Barotac Viejo
* Dr. Ricardo S. Provido Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Dalid, Calinog
* Don Valerio Palmares Sr. Memorial District Hospital on Alfelor Street, Passi City
* Dr. Ricardo Y. Ladrido Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Poblacion Ilawod, Lambunao
* Ramon D. Duremdes District Hospital in Barangay Ilaya 1st, Dumangas
* Federico Roman Tirador Sr. Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Jibolo, Janiuay
* Iloilo Provincial Hospital in Barangay Rumbang, Pototan
* Jesus M. Colmenares Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Tingui-an, Balasa
* Ramon Tabiana Memorial District Hospital in Barangay Pungtod, Cabatuan
* Rep. Pedro G. Trono Memorial District Hospital on Garriel Street, Guimbal
* Sara District Hospital in Barangay Anoring, Sara./PN