SAN JOSE, Antique – The provincial government here will temporarily ban the entry of pork and its by-products as a precautionary measure although the province is still free from the African swine fever (ASF) contamination.
Antique provincial veterinarian Dr. Romeo Magdato said Wednesday they are just waiting for Gov. Rhodora Cadiao’s Executive Order (EO) to implement a temporary ban.
“We are just waiting for the EO so that the temporary ban could be implemented. To be included in the ban will also be the imported pork being sold in the supermarkets and other stores,” Magdato said.
He added that this temporary ban is one of the recommendations of the ASF Crisis Management Task Force formed last week to protect the hog industry in the province.
It is just temporary until such time that there will be no more ASF cases that could threaten the hog industry, he said.
“We also have now the footbath at the airport as biosecurity measure,” he added.
Magdato said the footbath, however, had been placed at the airport even before the report on the ASF in Luzon.
“ASF is a serious disease with 100 percent mortality among the affected hogs,” he said. Up to now, there is no vaccine or medicine for the treatment of the hogs that acquired the disease, he added.
“In Antique, we have a total of 73,414 hog population of which mostly are backyard,” he said.
He said that the backyard hog population is 68,873 while the commercial is pegged at 4,541 heads with a value estimated at P451,396,991.
He said that although Antique is only fifth in terms of the hog population in Western Visayas with Negros Occidental as number one, hog raisers’ livelihood would suffer if ever there would be ASF in the province./PN