SAN JOSE, Antique – The number of dengue deaths in the province so far this year rose to two, with a 6-year-old girl being the latest fatality.
The girl was from Barangay Esperanza, Culasi, Antique. She was initially admitted to the Culasi District Hospital but was later transferred to the Angel Salazar Memorial General Hospital on May 29.
Three days later, she died, according to Sheree Vego, head of the Integrated Provincial Health Office’s (IPHO) Infectious, Environmental and Occupational Cluster.
Vego said the girl was brought to the hospital several days after the onset of fever. She added that the girl lacked medical intervention while in the early stage of the deadly mosquito-borne disease.
The first death due to dengue in Antique was a 7-year-old girl from Barangay Naba, also in Culasi town. IPHO nurse Mark Rojas said she died on May 22.
Barangay Esperanza is one of three villages in Culasi considered a “dengue hotspot.” The two other hotspots are Poblacion Centro Sur and Lipata.
Barangay 1 of San Jose and Barangay San Francisco Norte of Tibiao are also considered dengue hotspots in Antique.
A barangay is considered a dengue hotspot when it reports dengue incidence for four consecutive weeks.
“Families of patients should not wait for some time to bring their sick family members (to the hospital) so that the Dengue Rapid Diagnostic Test could be conducted and there would be proper treatment,” Vego said.
Vego added that they have advised the public to clean their surroundings to get rid of dengue-carrying mosquitoes, especially now that the rainy season is about to come.
From Jan. 1 to June 1, Antique recorded 272 cases of dengue. Culasi has the most cases with 50; San Jose followed with 36; and Sibalom with 30. (With a report from PNA/PN)