ILOILO – During the despedida (farewell) and bienvenida (welcome) party for the 12th and 13th Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP), respectively, at Casa Real de Iloilo on June 25, outgoing governor Arthur Defensor Sr. urged incoming members of the Provincial Board not to be mere yes-men of the governor but to “exercise critical collaboration.”
“May I suggest to the incoming SP to let your institution be a symbol of democracy. Do not simply say yes to the requests of the governor but exercise critical collaboration,” said Defensor, father of the new governor, Arthur “Toto” Defensor Jr.
The elder Defensor, governor for three consecutive terms from 2010 to 2019, also urged the SP to help the executive branch continue programs and projects that directly benefit the Ilonggos down to the grassroots.
He said he and the 12th SP collaborated well and it would be good for the new SP and the new governor to continue them.
The 13th SP is composed of the following members:
* Valentin Serag and Renee Valencia (1st district)
* Rolito Cajilig and June Mondejar (2nd District)
* Matt Palabrica and Jason Gonzales (3rd District)
* Rolly Distura and Domingo Oso Jr. (4th District)
* Carol Espinosa and Darl Tupas (5th District)
* Dorothy Paes (ex-officio member; president of the Liga ng mga Barangay provincial federation)
* Bianca Requinto (ex-officio member; president of the Sangguniang Kabataan provincial federation)
* Licurgo Tirador (ex-officio member; president of the Philippine Councilors League – Iloilo)
The SP presiding officer is Vice Gov. Christine Garin.
Meanwhile, Defensor thanked the 12th SP for helping him.
“Without you, we would not have received these many good governance awards. But it’s not all praises and awards, we also have mistakes,” said Defensor.
Lessons must be learned from these mistakes, he said, so they won’t be repeated.
“It has been wisely said that those who forget the mistakes of the past are bound to repeat it,” said Defensor.
He was also the governor from 1992 to 2001 before serving as 3rd District congressman from 2001-2010./PN