BACOLOD City – The Sangguniang Panlungsod (SP) has approved the P1.5-million budget for this year’s Diwali Festival, but set a condition to organizers.
Councilor Cindy Rojas said the festival – slated Nov. 7 to 9 – can only push through if organizers are able to liquidate their expenses for 2017. There was no Diwali Festival held last year.
“A budget is always appropriated every year for the city’s mainstay festivals,” said Rojas, who chairs the SP’s Committee on Appropriation and Finance.
Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, for his part, said the local Indian community was unable to hold the Diwali Festival last year because the organizer failed to liquidate expenses during the 2017 event.
The yearly celebration and the financial assistance extended by the city to the festival organizer are based on the Diwali Festival Ordinance.
Cited on the ordinance that “this event aims to foster better friendship, cultural as well as economic ties between the Filipino and Indian communities in this city.”
“The festival will be celebrated during the second weekend of November of each year,” it added./PN