GUIMARAS – Eighteen metric tons of this island province’s sweet mangoes are poised to be consumed during the 12-day celebration of the 2019 Manggahan Festival.
This year’s target is higher compared to the 17.1 metric tons of mangoes consumed in 2018.
Incumbent governor Samuel Gumarin led the opening of the local celebration yesterday.
Themed “Matam-is nga Kadalag-an: Manggahan Festival to the World,” the annual event celebrates the “sweet victories” of Guimaras, especially its recent feat of exporting locally produced mangoes to Russia, and later this year to other parts of Eastern Europe.
Part of the celebration is the famous “Mango Eat All You Can” booth. It starts from 8 to 11:30 in the morning and 2 to 4 in the afternoon. The booth will be available until May 22, the last day of the festival.
The booth’s entrance fee – which allows one to enjoy eating unlimited amount of mangoes for 30 minutes – remains to be at P120.
Gumarin is inviting the public to come to Guimaras not only to enjoy the mangoes but as well as the tourists destinations mostly comprised of beaches.
“Kami diri sa probinsya sang Guimaras nagapangagda. Kari kamo sa amon probinsya kag mag-upod sa amon sa pagselebrar sang Manggahan Festival,” Gumarin said.
The lineup of activities this year is grander compared to last year’s, according to the provincial government.
Among these activities are the following:
* May 12 – Manggahan Trail Ride, Moturtle Race Year 3; Mango Eat All You Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Volleyball; 4X BMX; Agri-Eco Day; Southern Trading Drama Concert; and Live Band
* May 13-Mango Eat All You Can; Talentadong Guimarasnon and Live Band
* May 14- Mango Eat All you Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Basketball; Social Welfare Day and Sinadya sang Kabataan; Guimaras Employees Night; and Comedy Band
* May 15- Mango Eat All You Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Basketball; Sponsored Day; Tourism Day: Amazing Guimarace; Acoustic Afternoon; Trigs Night; and Cali Island.
* May 16 – Sponsored Day; Mango Eat All You Can; Acoustic Afternoon; Iwag Day; Mr. Guimaras; Live Band; and The Dukes
* May 17- Guimaras Economic Day; Rescuelympics; Mango Eat All You Can; and 1st Manggahan Musical Fest
*May 18- Mango Eco Trail Run; Bike Fest: Asian Enduro; PIPSEA: National Executive Board Conference; 1st Manggahan Chess Tournament; Mango Eat All You Can; Kapamilya Caravan; and Live Band
* May 19 – Bike Fest: Asian Enduro; Manggahan Culinaria with Table Setting Skills Competition; Motocross challenge; Mango Eat All You Can; Acoustic Afternoon; Mutya ng Guimaras; Live Band, December Avenue; and Live Band
* May 20 – Dog Festival; Mango Eat All You Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Taekwondo; Acoustic Afternoon; LGU and Congresswoman’s Night; and Live Band
* May 21- Color Fun Run and Manggazumba; Mango Eat All You Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Arnis; Invitational Cultural Presentation; Street Dance Battle (Disco Derby); JK Labajo; and Live Band
* May 22 – Anniversary celebration: Anniversary parade, thanksgiving mass, and anniversary program; Mango Eat All You Can; 2019 Manggahan Sports Fest: Pencak Silat; Street Dancing and CuIme sltural Competition; Acoustic afternoon; Awarding ceremony; Estrellas sa Kalangitan; Ultra Combo; and Live Band./PN