MANILA – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said the start of the campaign period for local positions last Friday was marred by numerous reports of illegal campaign materials.
But Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said on Sunday that only campaign materials violations were reported to them. The campaigning is still “generally peaceful,” he stressed.
“Okay naman po so far, generally peaceful. Wala tayong natanggap na report ng untoward incident of the local campaign,” Jimenez said.
Jimenez added that the Comelec has given a three-day deadline for local and national candidates to remove campaign materials that exceed the 2-by-3 feet size limit or were placed outside common areas.
“If they remain at talagang paulit-ulit na nagva-violate ang mga kandidato…mayroong penalty na kulong, fine and of course, disqualification dahil ito ay isang election offense,” he said.
Jimenez encouraged netizens to help them in monitoring campaign violators. They can submit their reports to Comelec’s official social media accounts, he said.
The campaign period for national candidates (senatorial and party-list bets) is from Feb. 12 to May 11, 2019 while those running for local positions (House seats and regional, provincial, city, and municipal posts) is from March 29 to May 11, 2019.
Campaigning will be suspended for Maundy Thursday on April 18 and Good Friday on April 19 and will also be banned starting May 12, the eve of the 2019 midterm elections.
The liquor ban will take effect starting May 12, while the gun ban has been in effect since Jan. 13, 2019./PN