CLARK City – Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade on Friday welcomed the US Department Homeland Security’s (DHS) lifting of the public notice issued in December last year on security conditions at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
Tugade said the lifting of the security alert notice on NAIA would improve foreigners’ confidence to travel to the Philippines.
This will in turn help the country’s economy, Tugade said.
“Siyempre kung may kumpiyansa na bumagtas, bumiyahe dadami ang turista,” Tugade said.
“You can be assured that our airports are safe and secure. Our airports are competitive by way of international standards,” he added.
A news release issued Thursday, August 8 said Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Kevin K. McAleenan ordered “effective immediately the rescission of the Public Notice regarding security conditions at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines issued in December.”
The DHS issued the notice on December 27, 2018, after it found that the Philippines failed to adequately implement and maintain international security standards and recommended practices established by the International Civil Aviation Organization in Annex 17 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation of 1944.
“After months of direct engagement with the United States, the Government of the Philippines has made significant improvements to the security operations of MNL,” DHS said.
“Both the Manila International Airport Authority and the Government of the Philippines civil aviation security authorities have demonstrated they are willing to work toward sustaining those improvements,” it added.
The department vowed to continue working with the Philippine government “to help ensure a strong security posture at Manila and enhance global aviation security.”
Tugade said the lifting of security notice on the country’s main gateway was made possible through the combined efforts of an interagency lead by Manila International Airport Authority, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines. (GMA News)