Families of slain guards demand justice


BACOLOD City – The families of two Ilonggo subdivision security guards shot to death in Metro Manila are demanding justice.

“We want the killer arrested and jailed,” said Guillermo Bigno Sr., father of Guillermo Jr. who was killed by a still unidentified gunman on Sept. 7 at Better Living Subdivision in Parañaque City.

Killed with Guillermo Jr. was his security guard uncle, Michael Bigno, brother of Guillermo Sr.

The father and son Bignos were residents of Barangay Tagoc, Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental. Michael, on the other hand, was based in Iloilo province.

The shooting happened around 9 p.m.

Guillermo Sr. and wife Herminia urged the Metro Manila police not to stop working for the killer’s arrest.

But they were also apprehensive. They were poor, they said, and the case might just be neglected.

A security camera of Better Living Subdivision captured the killing. There was only one suspect – a man aboard a motorcycle. He shot Michael twice on the head and Guillermo Jr. on the abdomen.

Guillermo Jr. was buried on Sept. 22 in Kabankalan City.

Michael’s remains were with his family in Iloilo.

Security camera footage showed that around 6:46 p.m., the guards first let in a man and a woman riding a motorcycle. It looked like they knew the woman because they seemed to greet her.

Right behind the couple was a man who was also on a motorcycle. He was riding solo.

Closed circuit television (CCTV) camera footage taken from other parts of the subdivision showed the two motorcycles going around the subdivision.

After more than two hours, the man who was riding alone on his motorcycle was about to exit the subdivision when Michael reprimanded him. Police speculate that the security guard had belatedly realized that the man had just sneaked in.

Michael and the motorcycle rider got into a fight. The rider then drew his gun and fired at Michael. After that, he also fired at Guillermo Jr.

The wounded Michael still attempted to stop the suspect by holding on to the motorcycle, but he died on the scene. Guillermo Jr. was rushed to the hospital, but he was declared dead on arrival.

Michael had been working at the subdivision for 17 years.

Police are now trying to find out if the couple on the motorcycle may have been an accomplice of the man who killed the security guards. (With a report from ANC, Yahoo/PN)