BORACAY – Unity in cleaning this island resort may convince authorities not to pursue closure plans, according to cleanup organizers.
The activity started Wednesday last week. It was joined by stakeholders from various sectors – residents, establishment owners, tourists and even children, among others.
On Saturday, the cleanup focused on the 4-kilometer stretch of the beachfront. The participants collected waste and placed them inside plastic bags that were then properly disposed by garbage trucks.
Mark Santiago, one of the island cleanup organizers, said they “want to show President Rodrigo Duterte that we are united.”
“We call for the President not to close Boracay,” Santiago stressed.
Resident Maffi De Paris told Panay News that she helped in the cleanup to show her love for Boracay.
“Many workers and residents would be largely affected once Boracay is considered close,” she said.
Another resident, Carme Ann Talaga, who also participated in the cleanup, said it was “okay” if ever the cancellation of “Laboracay” events this year will push through.
“Basta maglimpyo lang ang isla. Next year guro mas bongga ang Labo[racay],” she added.
Massive crackdown on business establishments violating environmental laws in Boracay is still ongoing.
This after the President threatened to close the island after he called it a “cesspool” early last month.
The inter-agency tasked to restore Boracay has earlier recommended a yearlong closure of the island to pave way for rehabilitation efforts.
But last week, it once again suggested to shut the island down for a period of six months starting April 26.
The suggestion was addressed to President Rodrigo Duterte, who is expected to announce his decision today, March 26./PN