BACOLOD City – The City Health Office (CHO) said much effort is still needed to curb the spread of dengue as the number of the mosquito-borne disease has surged to 134.4 percent from Jan. 1 to Aug. 31 this year.
CHO Environment and Sanitation Division head Grace Tan said dengue cases here already reached 1,753 with seven deaths. The figures, according to Tan, showed an alarming rise as compared to last year’s 748 cases with only six deaths.
Barangays Estefania, Tangub, Taculing, Mansilingan, Villamonte, Alijis, Granada, Bata, Mandalagan and Singcang-Airport have the highest number of dengue cases, Tan added.
“Based on our monitoring, the latest fatality in this city was a 12-year-old male from Barangay Tangub,” she noted.
However, Tan is hoping that there will be a decrease on the number dengue cases here following the launching of the “Sabayang 4 o’clock Habit Para sa Deng-Get Out,” or the search and destruction of mosquitoes’ breeding places, on Aug. 28.
“The effect of the 4 o’clock habit will be determined after four weeks,” she said.
Tan reiterated that in order to stop the dengue epidemic in the city, everybody must be involved in the prevention efforts.
“There are some barangays here that are not fully compliant,” she said.
The CHO official added that they are conducting a monitoring to the barangays who are compliant in the activity.
“Cleanup should not be only done in the streets but also in the every household because mosquitoes are not only in the streets but also in the house,” she stressed./PN