BACOLOD City – Mayor Evelio Leonardia is considering the creation of a body that will oversee and undertake biosecurity measures against the entry of the novel coronavirus into the city.
“If it is necessary, we can form one,” said Leonardia, adding that the City Health Office (CHO) has already ramped up precautionary measures to block the possible spread of the virus originating from Wuhan City, China where 17 people died and 500 others were infected so far.
On Wednesday, the Sangguniang Panlungsod passed a resolution enjoining the CHO and the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office to take necessary assessment and precaution in the light of suspected presence of coronavirus in the City of Cebu which was discovered on Jan. 21.
The Department of Health in Western Visayas confirmed that this city has nothing to be alarmed of in relation to coronavirus, as there were no reported cases.
Airports across the country also intensified defenses against the new coronavirus, with thermal scanners to increase their surveillance on passengers coming in.
The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines said security measures especially in Kalibo International Airport, which has direct flights from Wuhan.
The death toll from the novel coronavirus called 2019-nCov has risen to 17, as over 500 more cases were reported across China, the United States, South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Macao and Taiwan, sparking fears of a possible pandemic,
The World Health Organization said that this particular strain of coronavirus has not been previously identified in humans and the severity of the infection it causes is still being studied.
Fever, difficulty in breathing, cough, and cold are among the symptoms of this virus.
On Thursday, the Chinese government had put Wuhan on lockdown morning, barring all forms of transportation in and out of the city south of Beijing. (With a report from CNN/PN)