MANILA – Malacañang expressed concern over the first incident of homegrown suicide bomber in the country, which it said goes against the Filipino character.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said President Rodrigo Duterte directed authorities to “enhance the technology in surveillance and intelligence work” in light of the incident last week in Sulu.
“It’s a cause for concern given that this is the first time that there is a Filipino suicide bomber. It goes against the grain of the character of Filipinos ‘yung magsu-suicide ka para sa terrorism,” Panelo said on Thursday.
“Mag-ingat. Ano man nakikita nila na ‘di normal ipaalam nila sa kaukulang awtoridad, lalo na ‘yung nakikita nilang galaw na mapanganib para sa kanilang kalagayan,” he added.
Police recently confirmed a Filipino suicide bomber was among those behind the July 3 twin blasts in Sulu, marking the first validated case of a Philippine citizen involved in such an attack.
Norman Lasuca was one of the bombers behind last week’s blasts in Indanan town which left eight people dead and 12 others wounded./PN